Also known as Silent Day. It is observed with 24 hours of inactivity as the entire island comes to a standstill. In accordance with the Hindu faith, Nyepi is the Balinese New Year and it is a time of solitude and personal reflection.
Hari Raya Nyepi is the Day of Complete Silence in Bali, observed from 06:00 in the morning until 06:00 the next morning. Nyepi Day marks the Balinese Saka New Year, and the way it is celebrated is totally unique. The whole island retreats into silence for 24 hours. There will be no flights in or out of Bali, businesses will be closed, no one will be allowed out on the streets, no television programs will be broadcasted, and on this night of the dark moon, all lights must be extinguished.
For the Balinese, the purpose of this day is to teach control of excess, to spend the day in quiet contemplation and meditation, with the idea behind this introspection that demons and evil spirits will be deluded into thinking that Bali is deserted, prompting them to leave the island. In the days leading up to Nyepi, The Balinese people perform a series of purification rituals to the beach, known as the Melasti ceremony. This involves the cleansing of sacred objects and the procession of Balinese people to the sea to purify themselves and their surroundings.
Nyepi is the most important of the Island’s religious days and the do’s & don’ts are taken seriously. Nyepi’s rigorous practices, the streets & beaches will be closed to both pedestrians and vehicles, except in emergencies. Village virtue wardens known as ‘Pecalang’ will safeguard the observance of this auspicious day. You are kindly obliged to remain inside the property throughout the day.
Kindly find the following information for your reference:
1. Silent day begins at sunrise 06:00 am on Wednesday, 22nd March and will last for 24 hours until 06:00 am on Thursday 23rd March 2022. You are obliged to stay inside the property.
2. All shops and transportation are closed on Nyepi Day, there will be no traffic on that day on the whole island of Bali.
3. When listening to music or watching TV, please keep the sound at a minimum level.
4. No light at night.
5. Airport and Seaport will be closed on 22nd March, accordingly there will be neither arrival or departure flight at the airport on that day.
6. Any emergencies are taken into consideration and tolerated. The entire island will be shrouded in silence.
7. Prepare enough food during Nyepi Days
8. The Shops, supermarkets and restaurants will be closed at 05:00 pm on 21st March and will open on 23rd March at 12:00 pm.
For your information, based on an official dispatch from the Bali Government Office, to respect local culture on silence day, TV cable service will be deactivated starting 22nd March at 06:00 am until 23rd March 2022, 06:00 am. However, the internet still works as usual during the observation of Hari Raya Nyepi.
Please be informed that on Nyepi, we will not be able to provide any services in the properties. For any inquiries please contact our operational number at +6281212427147
Experience & embrace the peaceful rhythm of silence.
Gede Arya Sutama
OXO Hospitality Management I OXO Group Indonesia